Green Summer Preparation Tips and Season Home Preparation Tips
Posted by Norman Fong
Summer is rapidly approaching, it is time to clean up your place. EWG Has a nice list of tips to help you clean your house the green more eco-friendly way.
- When traveling on vacation, try to carpool, take public transportation, or walk as much as possible
- Check the exterior of your home and repair any cracked or flaking paint
- Check and clean gutters again
- It is time to work on your garden, sprinkler system, and rejuvenate your lawn
- Check and clean chimney if necessary
- Check your water heater for leaks and sediment, turn down its temperature if possible
- Look for termites, ants, and other pests
- The heater will get a rest, so it’s time to check your air conditioner and its filters
- Check your roof and patch or replace any damaged areas
- Consider a solar electric system
- If you live in a windy area, consider a wind turbine
- If you your car needs replacement, consider purchasing a hybrid or all electric car
Some other useful tips include:
Using cleaners that do not have any of these chemicals: 2-butoxyethanol, Alkylphenol ethoxylates, Dye, Ethanolamines, fragrance, pine or citrus oil, Quaternary ammonium compounds.
Learn how to check on the products and ingredients by reading MSDS documents.
Baking soda and water works well as a substitute for acidic toilet-bowl cleaner and oven cleaners.
These tips are also incorporated in their healthy home checklist.
Recycle old unused electronics and computers responsibly and perhaps get some money back.
Donate or give away unneeded items.
If you enjoyed this post, be sure to subscribe to our RSS feed.