It is that time of year. Back to school!
Millions of people flood the stores to buy new clothes, backpacks, binders, computers, etc. Here are some tips to save money and be a little more green. Amazon has a back to school sale.
1) Stick with the same wardrobe. Buying a new set of clothes just to wear something new, is wasteful. Also try hand me downs, thrift shops.
2) Reuse school supplies. Look through your garage and dig up those old pens, markers, backpacks, binders, etc that can be reused. You don’t need the latest commercial fade advertised all over your stuff. Donate unwanted items so others can reuse them. If you need a new backpack buy one with natural fibers and skip PVC based ones. (Usually marked as #3)
3) Buy or use a re-usable lunch bag/box. Also pack items in washable plastic containers, reusable utensils, not throwaway plastic bags. Thermos work great for drinks. Forget about juice boxes, use refillable BPA free bottles. Avoid lunch boxes with lead paint, PVC (Usually marked #7) , BPA, or antimicrobial chemicals.
4) Upgrade your computer, do not buy a new one. Add some ram or a bigger hard drive. Clean off junk that is un-necessary. Defragment your hard drive. Consult our Green Electronics Article.
5) Plan eco friendly transportation. Bike or walk to school. Take the bus. Worst case, carpool with a friend.
6) Buy paper goods with high recycled content. Avoid PVC (#3) plastic. Binders, Binder paper, manila folders, notebooks, etc. At least 30% post consumer waste is good.
7) Art supplies can contain many toxic chemicals so stick to water based paints with natural pigments, avoid polymer clays as they contain PVC. Buy natural brushes and pens with recycled materials. Avoid petroleum products by sticking to soy or beeswax crayons. Water based glues are better than toxic ones or rubber cement.
8) Pencils should be plain wood, not painted, scented, or coated.
9) Cell phones should be low on the radiation scale and should be used with our tips.
Naked Binder, Eco-friendly binders
Naked Binder makes Eco-friendly binders, folders and tab dividers with sustainability and design in mind. Recycled and recyclable, strong as a bull and 130 choices to match your mood, class list or decor, these are the perfect binder for students or educators who care. Priced the same as most vinyl items.
Eco Green Permanent Marker
I saw a catalog with an Artline Eco Green permanent marker the other day. How can a marker be Green? More green washing?
The Artline ECO Permananet Marker by Xstamper or Shachihata USA is made of 74% recycled material. Prices at Amazon indicate that are not that much more expensive.
I tried find a place that recycles pens or markers but could not find one. Anyone have suggestions?
Save Money, Be Green, Bring Your Own Lunch
photo credit: daveynin
Save Money and be Green by bringing your own lunch to school or work. Making your own lunch instead of buying out can amount to $1460 – $3650 savings in a year, which is a ton of money. It is probably better healthwise too. Avoid the plastic bags and use reusable boxes.
Just cook a little extra the night before. You are cooking right?
Filed under: Clothes, Conservation, Easy, Eco Friendly, Effort, Electronics, Green, Kids, Money, Reduce, Reuse, Shopping | Tags: Back to school, Schools |