Almost everyone has to deal with pests. Whether indoor or outdoors, we need to think about eco friendly pest control or green alternatives to toxic pesticides and insecticides.
The Bugman had a great list of things to do to help prevent pests. Some of the best tips:
- Check your outside doors. If you can see light coming in from under the door or you can slide a piece of paper under the door, a bug can crawl in. You may want to install door sweeps or thresholds to keep them out.
- Check for openings around pipes and cables that penetrate an outside wall and seal any you find. These are excellent places for ants and wasps to enter.
- Make sure all of your screens are in good repair and that the doors and windows close properly.
- Install hardware cloth on all attic, roof and crawl space vents in order to prevent rodents and insects from entering. If you have a chimney, make sure you have a chimney cap.
- Keep debris away from the building as this will attract all sorts of insects, spiders, centipedes and rodents.
- Go around the building periodically with a broom and knock down any spider webs. Spiders will not stay in an area where they are continually harassed.
- If you have playground equipment, make sure you plug up the ends of the pipes on the equipment to prevent wasps from setting up housekeeping in them.
- Do not leave outside lights on any longer than necessary. Lights attract a number of bugs and all sorts of things that eat bugs.
- Cut back any branches on trees or shrubs that touch the facility. Ants will often use the limbs of trees and shrubs to gain access to buildings.
- Keep flies away by hanging a zipped block bag half filled with water on your doors or windows that get sunlight. This will confuse the flies.
- Keep rabbits and other small animals away by hanging CDs. This will confuse the animals.
- Yellow Corn Meal spread around the base of plants will control cut-worms.
Read the rest of this entry »