Seasons are changing, just in time for a crazy good rebate on air conditioners, heaters, insulation, and more. A very lucrative, new limited time California energy efficiency rebate is available where you can receive up to $4500 in rebates from Energy Upgrade California program. PG&E, SCE, San Diego Gas & Electric – SDG&E, or BVE are covered by their home upgrade incentive. Energy Upgrade California is focused on a whole house approach to saving energy, measuring the actual savings. San Francisco Bay Area information line 855-464-8484. This program ends when funding dries up.
The goal of the program:
- Get rebates, financing, and incentives to reduce the cost of your home upgrade
- Reduce energy use
- Live in a more comfortable home
Acterra has free energy audits for residents of:
- Los Altos Hills
- Monte Sereno
- Portola Valley
Funding for Energy Upgrade California comes from American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, otherwise known as Federal Stimulus Funds, California utility ratepayers, and private contributions.
- You must own a single-family home, commercial, or multifamily property and be a qualifying California utility company customer.
- You must be current on property taxes and liens.
- Participating contractors are specially trained for this program.
- There are 2 upgrade packages:
- Basic Upgrade Package – 7 required measures (Air sealing, attic insulation, duct sealing, hot water pipe insulation, thermostatic shutoff valve, carbon monoxide monitor) that together could reduce your energy consumption by an average of 10%. Up to $1000 rebate.
- Advanced Upgrade Package – A home energy audit which includes energy modeling must be completed by a certified energy auditor. A customized solution (Basic upgrade package plus high-efficiency furnace, energy-efficient cooling, water heater system, energy efficient Windows, duct replacement, wall insulation) with energy savings of 15 to 40%, with incentives from $1250 – $4000 depending on efficiency improvement. The amount of the rebate you get is based on energy modeling software that shows how much energy your home will save after an energy upgrade remodel.
Energy Upgrade CA approves the project after the audit is done and before the work is done.
A verification test is done after the work is finished by PG&E auditors.
Contact your qualified local contractor or Home Energy Audit firm via the Energy Upgrade CA website today to participate in Energy Upgrade California.
If you add green measures to the Upgrade Package, your home may qualify for the GreenPoint Rated label and receive up to $1000. This validates that your home has been remodeled according to established green standards.
Be sure to take advantage of the Federal Tax Credit to receive additional money back in addition to those received under Energy Upgrade California!
Energy Upgrade California Analysis
Analysis done at the end of summer 2012, found that the Energy Commission paid out $40.9 million in rebates but spent $56.5 million in creating the program, marketing it, and administering it. Few cash poor consumers were willing to take the plunge. Banks were hesitant to lend money for this energy upgrade work. Stimulus money is now all gone, so energy upgrade California is being funded by our electric bills.
Utility companies have asked that this program be continued for another two years, but it remains to be seen if the California Public Utilities Commission will allow this.